Saturday, October 24, 2015

Dad, let the robot cut the lawn!

I still remember the time when I went out to a field with my grandfather, a part-time farmer. He had some farm animals at home and therefore always needed hay. He actually still cut the hay with a scythe. He sometimes also let me do it although he was never completely satisfied with my work. Pretty exhausting but fun though when you work with your hands.
At my parents place, we at least cut the lawn with an petrol lawnmower which makes life much easier but I always smelled like a petrol station afterwards. When I was living at my parents place, I did not really like it when my dad asked me to do it. Actually, it was pretty exhausting because you had to push this super-vibrating machine over bumpy ground and doing this for some hours definitely makes you tired. We should have tried this one instead. At least no vibration and no smell of petrol!! 

But guys, nowadays we can forget about all these problems. We don't need to push any lawnmower anymore. There are these small, cute robots doing the job for us. How do they operate?! Of course with algorithms! Most of the robots just need a electric fence around the area to be cut which helps them to orientate and limit the cutting area. They automatically cut the lawn and when they are done, they return to their docking station. Some are that sophisticated that they even recognize with sensors when it is raining and they should return earlier to their station. Clearly, these robots facilitate massively our life. But I have to admit I see advantages in pushing the lawnmower. It's physical exercise, for some it is like meditation to have the always the same vibration and sound and some just love the smell of freshly cut grass. Actually, I am one of them. 
If you purchase one, there is even an Automatic Lawnmower Buyers Guide. Just in case you need some information. However, I hope that this never happens to you:


No comments:

Post a Comment